I spent some time in the William Morris Memorial Park, (note: there are two separate links there), in Saranac Lake, as a kid, with my siblings. My mom would take us all into town as she ran her errands, and—now that I think of it—we seemed to have been left here on our own recognizance. Or maybe she was just elsewhere in the park, talking to her friends, or whatever, but in any case, I spent “some time” in “the park” (okay, after finding this link, it does look like it was a “day care” park).
One of the key memories I have of that park, was swinging on the swing set with a friend who was looking to become a priest. I often wonder where and how W. B. is doing.
Anyway, one day while at Donnelly’s Corners a couple weeks ago, we saw a sign “talking” about an “Adirondack Carousel” in Saranac (the locals sometimes refer to “Saranac Lake” simply as “Saranac,” though there is a “Saranac, New York“), at the William Morris Park, so I thought we should check it out. Carousel information is here and here.
The carousel is composed of handcarved rides and was pretty cool looking. My favorite was the loon. There was also some nice “carnival” artwork on the above skirt as well. But, have to say, the interior of the building really needs an air-conditioner!
- Upstate New York Vacation 2014 – Part 1 of 4 (fpdorchak.wordpress.com)
- One Painting…Two Dogs (fpdorchakrealitycheck.wordpress.com)
- Ausable Chasm – Upstate New York Vacation 2014 – Part 2 of 4 (fpdorchak.wordpress.com)
- Boldt Castle – Upstate New York Vacation 2014 – Part 3 of 4 (fpdorchak.wordpress.com)
- Sunnyside (fpdorchak.wordpress.com)
- St. John in the Wilderness Cemetery – Upstate New York Vacation 2014 – Part 4 of 4 (fpdorchak.wordpress.com)